Are your fitness goals to be a better athlete or to look better? Most of us proclaim it be the former, but wish it to be the latter. We see a friend, colleague, or acquaintance on stage in a bikini and think…
That could be me… I have that in me… I wish for and want that.”
Insert bucket list here.
Bucket list…a phrase normally associated with people about to kick it, but increasingly, a term kicked around by women in their thirties and beyond in reference to competing in bikini. Why is this on the proverbial bucket list and…should it be? Take this assessment to see if bikini competition is right for you.
Bikini competition can be great if…
- You can commit to eating “fitness foods” in precise amounts at precise moments.
- You are good at (or willing to be good at…) food preparation, lifting intensely, and resting (e.g., not working out excessively).
- You don’t mind eating and doing the same things day-in and day-out.
- You put a premium on things like self-nurturing and self-care, especially the elements of sleep and hydration, but also massage, mani/pedi, hair, skincare, etc.
- Your social calendar doesn’t impinge on any of the above.
- You will cut back or add cardio, as directed.
- You don’t mind ignoring (or, better yet, disposing of…) your scale.
- You accept doing 30-60 minutes of stairs or other forms of fasted cardio “torture” when tired, sore, and hungry.
- The thought of being on-stage excites you more than scares the sh#t out of you.
- You embrace (or are willing to embrace) the divine feminine within.
- You have a positive outlook on life.
- You are coachable.
- You have the time and money to do this. (~$2K from start to finish, minimum 3 months)
Bikini competition would NOT be great if…
- You tend to (or like to…) skip meals.
- You have a hard time eating the same thing everyday.
- You tend to complain about life.
- You are easily tempted by quick fixes, sweets, or the latest fitness fad.
- Not doing cardio, if directed, would give you anxiety.
- You determine your fitness success by a number on the scale.
- You believe your stage body should be your everyday body.
- You have a history of eating disorders and will not use this as an opportunity to heal them.
- You have other people in your life that will influence you to go against your coach’s wishes.
- You don’t have the money or belief in the need for the finishing touches, such as a pro-worthy suit, tan, hair, and makeup.
- You don’t have the support structure or work-life flexibility to commit to this.
- Winning a trophy is extremely important to you.
If this is on your Bucket List, join the Bikini Stars of Star’s Locker! We are a supportive group of like-minded women who lift each other up in our personal journeys to stage. Packages start at $200/mo.
Learn more here or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Planning a conference or event? Let Eventbrite help you. Click here to download their free guide on leveraging social media to drive attendance to your next special event!