What happens when you discover that instead of being nine weeks out from the biggest bodybuilding competition of the season, you are nine months out from the biggest bodybuilding event of your life?!
Shift happens, but it is our ability to shift that breeds empowerment.
Whether you are building a baby, a body, a company, or any other dream, change emerges and it is our ability to shift that keeps us at peace within ourselves and in a generative consciousness.
gen·er·a·tive (adj) relating to or capable of production or reproduction.
And, if it’s something you’re really serious about, it’s necessary not to take it too seriously…
To be generative, you cannot be only serious. You’ve got to be able to play. ~Robert Dilts
Serious, but not serious…huh??
Yes…playfulness fosters our creativity, it fosters different perspectives and new possibilities for greater joy. Without playfulness, we get stuck in a really bad place…misery.
If peace comes from seeing the whole, then misery comes from a loss of perspective. ~Mark Nepo
In the spirit of playfulness and finding peace (in my belly), here’s how I made the shift from bikini bodybuilding to baby bodybuilding:
1. Just like abs, babies are made in the kitchen!
The quality of nutrition before and during these nine months produces lifelong effects on the structure of the body, the shape of the face, the placement of the teeth, and the function of the brain, kidneys, lungs and cardiovascular system. The nutritional environment of the womb determines the risk of degenerative disease later in life, the resistance to infection, range of intellect and even the quality of emotions from childhood to old age.” ~Sally Fallon Morell
2. Don’t throw away the yolks!
- Yolks provide vitamins A, D, K2 and E as well as folate, biotin and important minerals like iron, zinc and selenium.
- Sorry, Porkchop (chiwheenie pictured above…), your little brother or sister gets some of the yolks now!
- Pregnancy tea doesn’t come in coffee flavor…(I checked.)
- I have been unable to recruit anyone to try this coffee-free challenge with me…seems easier to get people to commit to 10-min planks…
4. My vitamins taste disgusting…
- This prenatal vitamin that closely resembles a gumdrop makes me pretty queasy
- Fermented cod liver oil…ick! I’m hoping the “cinnamon tingle” flavor will taste like Big Red gum.
- Already happier 🙂
- Cardio is excellent for boosting the mood and blood flow, which is good for everyone, but especially the moodiness generated from pregnancy hormones.
- Steady-state cardio is always a great time to read…2-in-one mood booster
- From a compilation of IFBB Pro Bikini physiques to these beautiful images…
7. Emphasis on squats continues
- The statement, “Squats are our most functional move,” takes on even greater importance when that “function” involves baby delivery!
8. Sugar-free mint gum is still my best friend…because what is this awful metallic taste in my mouth?
- “Dysgeusia”, a change in the sense of taste, leaves a persisting metallic taste. Estrogen is believed to control our sense of taste, so as estrogen production increases, yucky metallic taste does too!
- Additional remedies:
- Replace salsa with apple cider vinegar (spicy aggravates; sour offsets)
- Lemon-infused water (acidity from lemon helps)
- Toothbrush in purse (always prepared)
9. No sushi…not even as a cheat meal?!
- If raw fish, especially tuna, should be avoided during pregnancy, and I am seriously craving sushi, vegetable maki will work!
- Sushi rice contains vinegar to help with dysgeusia and the “nori” seaweed wrapping is extremely dense with nutrients…and amazing for your skin!
- Nori: A Skin Superstar
Best known as the outer wrap of sushi rolls, nori is a great snack for skin health. Just one sheet of nori has the same amount of omega-3s as two whole avocados! The omega-3s in nori help create a natural oil barrier on your skin, helping to reduce acne and dry skin, particularly helpful during these dry, heated winter months. Nori also helps reduce the body’s production of inflammatory compounds that affect how healthy the skin looks and feels.”
- Nori: A Skin Superstar
10. Replace ice bath with relaxing spa bath
- OK, twist my arm…ahhh 😉
- I’m putting this bathtub on my Christmas list!
We don’t arrive at a permanent peace; it is a constant delicate navigation and transfer of energy, weight, thoughts and emotions to keep us centered, through the process of life.” ~willPower & grace